People are looking for faster, cheaper, cleaner ways of getting around. Better transit makes life better for everyone.
Our investments in public transit up until this year were ten times those of Stephen Harper’s. We were just getting started. Earlier this year we invested an additional $14.9 billion, including establishing Canada’s first permanent public transit fund.
A re-elected Liberal government will continue to transform public transit in Canada by:
- Accelerating major public transit projects.
- Supporting the switch to zero-emission buses.
- Developing rural transit solutions.
- Advancing a National Active Transportation Strategy to build bike lanes, wider sidewalks, pathways, and multi-use trails.
- Committing to make High Frequency Rail a reality. We will move forward with the project in the Toronto to Quebec City corridor, with stops in Trois-Rivières and Peterborough, among others, using electrified technology. We will launch a procurement process by the end of 2021 and also explore other opportunities to extend the rail toward London and Windsor.