Canada is a trading nation and trade has an important part to play in our plan for a robust economic recovery. Under our leadership, Canada became the only G7 country to have free trade agreements with all other G7 countries.
A re-elected Liberal government will:
- Establish a new federal hub to help Canadian businesses and entrepreneurs take full advantage of the opportunities created by CUSMA, CETA, CPTPP, and other trade agreements.
- Launch a new comprehensive Asia-Pacific strategy to deepen diplomatic, economic, and defence partnerships in the region, including by negotiating new bilateral trade agreements, expanding FIPAs, and building stronger economic linkages.
- Reinforce economic cooperation in our hemisphere, including by continuing trade negotiations with the Pacific Alliance and pursuing bilateral trade agreements with key partners.
- Develop a strategy for economic cooperation across Africa, including support for the African Continental Free Trade Agreement, facilitation of increased infrastructure investment, and expanding partnerships in research and innovation.
- Establish a digital policy task force, comprised of industry experts, academia, and government, to integrate efforts across government and provide additional resources in order to position Canada as a leader in the digital economy and shape global governance of emerging technologies, including with respect to data and privacy rights, taxation, online violent extremism, the ethical use of new technologies, and the future of work. This will build on our work to implement Canada’s first Digital Charter and reform our laws to protect the personal information of individuals.
- Introduce legislation to eradicate forced labour from Canadian supply chains and ensure Canadian businesses that operate abroad are not contributing to human rights abuses.
- Enhance and expand Canada’s Responsible Business Conduct strategy and ensure Canadian companies and crown corporations are upholding the highest environmental and social standards of corporate governance.