Since day one, we have been committed to working with Indigenous peoples to build a nation-to-nation, Inuit-Crown, government-to-government relationship that is based on respect, partnership, and the affirmation and recognition of rights. We have made good progress with First Nations, Inuit, and the Métis Nation. But this work must continue.
A re-elected Liberal government will:
- Continue to support Indigenous-led processes for rebuilding and reconstituting nations, advancing self-determination and work in partnership on implementation of treaties, land claim and self-government agreements with appropriate oversight mechanisms to hold the federal government accountable.
- Continue to support First Nations-led processes to transition away from the Indian Act.
- Accelerate resolution of outstanding land claims.
- Continue to advance the priorities of Indigenous communities to reclaim full jurisdiction in the areas that matter to them such as child and family services, education, health care, policing, tax, and the administration of justice.
- Further support and fund the revitalization of Indigenous laws, legal systems, and traditions.
- Host a First Ministers Meeting on First Nations, Inuit, and Métis Nation priorities.