We are committed to building a country free of genderbased violence. Every 2.5 days a woman or girl is killed in Canada. In the last year alone, there were over 160 women violently killed.
Progress Since 2015 to End Gender-Based Violence:
- Launched the Gender-Based Violence Strategy, committing nearly $200 million starting in 2017-18 until 2022-23, and over $40 million per year ongoing.
- Created a $100 million Feminist Response and Recovery Fund, creating building blocks for long-term, lasting change to advance women’s equality.
- In 2021, we committed $601.3 million towards a National Action Plan to End Gender-Based Violence.
A re-elected Liberal government will:
- Continue to move forward on the development of a 10-year National Action Plan to End Gender-Based Violence and begin negotiations with the provinces and territories within a year.
- Accelerate the establishment of a dedicated Secretariat announced in Budget 2021 and put in place an accountability framework to ensure anyone facing gender-based violence has reliable and timely access to services, no matter where they live.
- Work with community-based anti-violence experts to track progress of the National Action Plan on Gender-Based Violence.
- Work with provinces and territories to enact Clare’s Law so that domestic partners who fear for their safety can request from police information about their partner’s violent history, whether that includes sexual assault, domestic violence, convictions, arrests, or restraining orders.
- Work with provinces and territories to support the development of specialized sexual violence courts.